Friday, December 26, 2008

My oxymoron of a week

Needless to say, this past week was very eventful for me- which is ironic, because I spent majority of it complaining about how bored I was. Ha. As you may have guessed, I'm going to tell you about it. Now...where to begin?

Let's start Wednesday, December 17th. I had to report to the hospital at 6 AM for an upper endoscopy. In layman's terms, they put a camera and light down my throat and looked at my stomach. I went under for it, so I had a very nice nap that day. We found out that I have gastritis, or inflammation of the stomach, as well as a hiatal hernia. Basically, part of stomach has gone up into the bottom of my esophagus. Most people don't know that they have one until a procedure like this finds it, AKA me. How is it healed?? Cut back on coffee, chocolate, caffeine, eating late a night before bed, spicy foods...things that I love. No Starbucks for a while. :( But it's ok, it should be healed in about a month or so...just gotta be careful. The gastritis will heal too. It was most likely a result of the hernia and my gallbladder.

Speaking of gallbladders, I no longer have one. :) I had it removed laproscopicly last Thursday, December 18th. I had to be at the hospital at 6 AM for the second day in a row. I also had to clean myself out the night before by drinking a magnesium citrate juice. It worked...I'll leave it at that. They put me under around 7:30 and took me back right after. The surgery took about an hour. They made 4 incisions- one in my bellybutton (weird, I know), one about 2 inches above that, and 2 more to the right of that one. My gallbladder not only worked at only 15%, but it was also needed to go. I felt a difference that afternoon- I felt so much better, despite the pain from the surgery. I went home around 1:30 that afternoon, and they sent me home with some Vicadin...very good stuff. A couple friends and family came to visit me that night. I got visits Friday and Saturday too- I really enjoyed seeing everyone and knowing that they cared. I slept on the couch propped up on a pillow because I couldn't lay down, and slept there until Christmas back was ready for my bed.

Anyway, more about my week. Friday night, the night after surgery, we went to my aunt and uncle's house for the Routt family Christmas, my mom's side. I couldn't eat, and stayed on the couch and didn't move. Fun, I know. Saturday night, it was Peace family Christmas, my dad's side. Got to eat maybe a spoonful of mashed potatoes, green beans, a roll, and a tiny piece of turkey. Again, stayed in a chair and didn't move. I coudln't get comfortable though and started hurting and got REALLY tired. Sunday morning I went to church and was doing good until I walked in, got hot and about passed out. I took a nap on dad's shoulder during the service- I did NOT care what people thought. If they wanted to comment, I was prepared to show off my stitches. I was thinking "Say something, go ahead." (I can be kind of aggressive when I don't feel good haha) I got home from church and took a 5 hour nap...guess I was tired, haha. Monday is when the boredom struck. I couldn't leave the house, and wasn't moving around very well because of the soreness. I got to take the tape off of my stitches though, so that made me feel better. Tuesday, I got to leave the house and get my stitches out. You won't believe how much better I felt after they came out. Wednesday, Christmas Eve, I was in a very bad mood from being stuck in the house all week. We went to the Christmas Eve service at church, and despite almost passing out again (I just got hot again and wasn't used to that much activity), it was a really good service and much needed by the whole family. Christmas Day arrived bright and early. We opened presents, and went to my grandparents house for Christmas dinner, and that was really good. I ate the most I had since the surgery. I had a plate full of green bean casserole, corn, mashed potatoes, rolls, ham, meatballs and gravy, Ike salad, fruit salad, and BBQ weinies....and it didn't hurt me at all. :) And today, I made my debut back in the real world- we went to the mall and Wal-Mart. I hadn't been around so many people in days, and truthfully got a bit lightheaded. I even ate Mexican for dinner. Eating food again feels so good. :)

I know this post is a bit long, but I really just had a lot to get off my chest. Sorry if the surgery details were boring- I could talk about it for a while, haha. But I'm feeling much better. The soreness gets better each day, and my incisions keep looking better and better. Now, I'm just looking forward to hanging out with friends and celebrating the New Year!!!

1 comment:

Whitney Reno said...

I'm very happy your surgery went well and that you're feeling so much better so quickly.
And I guess now you know why House likes Vicadin so much. I am personally a fan of lortab, but whatever :) I'm still bummed you couldn't make it up to WofoCo for my birthday, but I guess I'll forgive you this time. And there was one more thing I was going to say...hold on I'm still thinking.... Oh- I think it was just that I know how you feel being bored all week but not wanting to do anything either. I spent most of my first days after my surgery on the couch- but at least you had people come visit you. I'm sure that was nice :)